Friday, January 27, 2017

Memphis, TN --- Billy Adams of Sun Records: A Tribute to One of the Best Drummers in the Whole World


Billy Adams 
David Fullerton 

I grew up in Memphis, TN in the Whitehaven community --- home to Elvis Presley.   

On my street there was more talent than you could shake a stick at. That is no lie. 

For example, I use to walk down to the Billy Adams house to hang out with his kids.

Of course, none of us young kids, who had visited the Adams home, thought anything about the fact that Billy had played Drums for everybody that was somebody in the music business --- including Elvis. Nor did we know he recorded for Sun Records. 

Besides, it was not like he bragged about his accomplishments, nor did he keep all his awards on the wall.  

I will say one thing for sure: he was a humble man to say the least and he was far more concerned with being a daddy and husband. 

In fact, I only got to know him for three short years. Then, he passed away. But before he passed, he set me straight about the music business.

The things he said were deeper than a wishing well, which got my head down out of the clouds about seeking fame and fortune first instead of loving what I do and doing what I love no matter what the powers that be say otherwise.

Equally important, Billy taught me about working behind the scenes. Like booking major bands and managing major recording artist, such as their day-to-day activities on an international scale --- and all this from the comfort of his humble home.

He let me look though his massive rolodex and hear how he placed important phone calls to all the major music moguls in the business. I was learning from one of the best at an early age.

Believe it or not I had to get a few Ph.D. classes under my belt before I knew as much as ole Billy ever did.

Anyway, I miss this man and so do thousands of others. 

I just want to pay tribute to a special man in my life who made a difference in shaping and developing my world view about the music business. 

Please take notice of the four leaf clover I picked from Billy's front yard on the day he passed away. The clover is next to Billy's obituary notice that I have posted with this note. I have kept this clover all these years to remind me of a good friend and where I come from. 

It's a memory I will always cherish. 

Peace & Love